It’s been a minute since I have posted anything so I’ll break the silence with this amazing breakfast quinoa I whipped up this past weekend. I was really craving a hot cereal for breakfast and was fresh out of my go-to ingredients, oats & almond milk, so I had to get a bit creative with what was on hand. A can of coconut cream and bag of quinoa for the rescue. This recipe is fall-inspired with fresh apples, pumpkin pie spice, and apple cider jam.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-14 ounce can coconut cream (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon, few shakes
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice seasoning
- 2 apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Toppings: nut or seed butter, slivered almonds or seeds, jam
This makes about 4 bowls or servings.
- Add coconut cream, water, and quinoa to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add vanilla extract and cinnamon, simmer for ~15 minutes or according to quinoa package directions.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat coconut oil in pan or wok over medium heat. Add chopped apple and pumpkin spice seasoning and saute until apples are very tender and fragrant, ~10 minutes. I added ~3 tablespoons of slivered almonds to the wok during the last 4 minutes.
- Combine quinoa and apple in a bowl, add toppings of choice. In this case I was feeling peanut butter, Trader Joe’s seasonal apple cider jam and a little more cinnamon.
So simple, so delicious and ready in less than 30 minutes! Another bonus is that this recipe reheats well the next day so don’t be afraid of leftovers.
This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, egg-free and can be nut-free depending on the toppings used. For example, instead of the peanut butter & slivered almonds try sunflower seed spread and chia seeds.
Try it out and let me know what you think!