Yayyy for Friday! This week has flown by and I am not complaining. I had my last Micronutrients class of the semester last night. Now all I need is to complete my final and it’s summer break for this girl!
Meme from Relatably.com
After back and forth consideration I decided not to take a summer class this summer because 1) I want to spend all the time I can outside and summer is already too short here in MI 2) I have some work projects I need to focus on/prepare for and didn’t want to have to worry about studying on top of that. Trying to find that thing called balance….
Last weekend I made this vegan fried rice with tofu and used only low-FODMAP ingredients so it could be used on UofM’s GI nutrition website (myginutrition.com). It turned out great the first time around and held up very well for leftovers/lunches during the week.
1 cup Jasmine rice (makes about 3 cups cooked rice), recommend cooking this ahead of time
2 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon green onion (green tops only), sliced
1 cup frozen peas and carrots. **Update: Green peas are high FODMAP, suggest using edamame in it’s place, 1/2-1 cup carrots, 1/2-1 cup edamame.
2-3 Tablespoons liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
7 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, liquid pressed out**
¼ teaspoon turmeric
Sea salt (optional)
Additional options: Can add ground ginger and/or red pepper flakes. Can garnish will additional green onion tops. Makes 6-8 servings.
**To press liquid out of tofu place the tofu block on a plate, put another plate or a cutting board on top of the tofu, then weigh it down with a heavy book or cans. Drain liquid pressed out in about 20-30 minutes. You can also wrap the tofu in a clean towel or paper towels then press it which will assist with getting the liquid out.
- Cook rice according to package directions. This is best if cooked the day before and chilled in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour 1 tablespoon sesame oil, add green onion tops, peas and carrots, fry until tender, about 4 minutes. Set aside on a separate plate or in a bowl.
- Use a fork to crumble the tofu into crumbles/small pieces. Add the other 1 tablespoon sesame oil to wok/skillet.
- Add tofu, mix in turmeric and pinch of salt (optional), cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add rice to tofu, continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mix to rice and tofu. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated and thoroughly combined.
- When serving, can add additional aminos or soy sauce to taste. Also good with a little bit of sriracha (not low-FODMAP).
Hope you enjoy this recipe and your weekend. TGIF.